Friday, January 18, 2013

My favorite game growing up: Hide and ...Skoal?

Today I'd like to dedicate a space to the wonders of chewing tobacco.  Although I am a regular cigarette smoker, I think chewing is absolutely repulsive.  I guess that makes me a hypocrite...oh well.  But the sight of tiny tobacco pieces lodged between my father's teeth as he lunged to give me a goodnight kiss still remains one of my most painful childhood memories.  (I'm lucky, I know.)  I remember comparing the taste of his goodnight kisses to my experiences in the old, overflowing porter potties I was forced to used at my brothers' little league baseball games.  My dad has been a loyal Skoal "chewer" for as long as I remember.  When I was little, I would steal his cans (he bought them by the roll and stored them in the fridge) and hide them in my bedroom or throw them away.  He started catching on to my antics, and would steal them back whenever I wasn't around. Hide and seek with daddy's chew became a daily ritual in my household.  I got my mom and my two older brothers involved in the hiding process.  But as we got better and better at hiding, he got better and better at seeking.  In retaliation, I resorted to emptying his chew cans into the toilet and the garbage.  Daddy didn't think my new game was cute...at all.  I don't remember what my punishment was, but I do remember my dad promising to cut back on chewing.  He never did.  I'd always ask him, "Daddy why do you do that?  It's so gross!  Why would you even want to start doing something like that?"  He never answered me.  I never understood why.

Now I get it.


3 comments:

  1. I like your background story, it was funny! "Hide and seek with daddy's chew"...that's a good line. Nice way to tie it into the ad. Did your dad really see this ad, or was it not the right time period? Does he still chew? But anyway, again, I like your tone. It's humorous and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, my dad still chews...not as much as he did when I was little though. And honestly, I have no idea if my dad really saw this ad. And I never EVER want to know. The thought of my dad looking at a Playboy is more scarring to me than the thought of his chew breath.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar story. I once tried to hide the matchbooks I found around my aunt's house so she would stop smoking. But she caught me and yelled at me instead.

    ReplyDelete