Tuesday, February 19, 2013

And the winner is...

I'm sure you've been dying to find out what was voted the best commercial from Super Bowl 2013.  I know I have.  I checked out the website frequently after the game to find out the viewer's choice, but it didn't show up for awhile.  I started losing interest so my apologies if the update came a little later than you expected.  But here's the winner..


I think this ad is great, but it's definitely not targeted at me.  For a religious blue-collar white man, this sells the Dodge Ram perfectly.  The commercial personifies the target consumer in great detail.  The shot I remember most is the one of the farmer's hands.  They're dirty and covered in cuts.  You can tell they've been put to good use.  It's my favorite shot because although the ad directly targets farmers, the imagery (the man sitting at the dinner table with his family is another example) shows that any hardworking American man can appreciate the toughness of a Dodge Ram.

I also love the 8th day concept--I don't know if it's been done before (I doubt many companies use religion to sell their products)--but if not that makes it even better.  It further distinguishes the target market for the Dodge Ram.  This is definitely not a truck for the guy signing a petition to have "under god" eliminated from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Like most car ads, it's super Patriotic too.  But without all the unnecessary red white and blue sabotaging the entire screen.  Or the patriotic music you won't get out of your head for the next two days.

The storyline is good too.  Yes, most ads do have storylines.  Viewers are encouraged to remember the past while looking forward to their future in a new Ram Truck.



What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I loved this commercial. I wish I would have actually got to see it for the first time during the Super Bowl, but I had to YouTube it the next day. The voice is interesting to listen to, and maybe I'm a country lover deep down haha.

    ReplyDelete