Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Why you'll never forget Sarah Marshall.

Anyone remember the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall?  It premiered in 2008.  It's on cable all the time now.  The movie was okay--just another romantic comedy.

If you've seen the movie, you probably remember the cast better than the plot.  Jason Segel, who wrote the film starred alongside Mila Kunis, Russell Brand and Kristen Bell, who starred Sarah Marshall.

Anyways, I was probably a junior in high school when the movie came out, and for some reason I was really excited about seeing it.  I'm not a huge fan of romantic comedies, and although I love Jason Segel now, I probably had no idea who he was in high school.

So why did I want to see this movie so bad?


Because the billboards advertising the movie were so great.

I was in Florida with my family when I first saw the billboard.  I thought some rich kid was being overdramatic about being dumped.

But when I got back to Pittsburgh, I saw another billboard.


I had to research this "Sarah Marshall" character who was being blasted across the country.

Long story short, I went home, went on the website and found out Sarah Marshall was a character in an upcoming movie.  I saw it in theaters.  I never go to the movie theater.

Anyone else remember these ads?

This is what a billboard should look like.  Whoever created this ad campaign really understood the medium.  People try their best to ignore billboards.  It's a lot easier than other ads because especially when driving, you pass them within seconds.

A good billboard is very concise while getting the attention of its audiences.

A better billboard does those things while also directing you somewhere else you can hold your attention for longer than seven seconds.  Like a website.  Or Facebook.

This is great.


No comments:

Post a Comment